The Sun in Her Eyes by Paige Toon

Synopsis: 
Blinding sunshine… A bend in the road… What became of the little girl with the sun in her eyes?

Amber was three when a car crash stole her mother's life. She doesn't remember the accident, but a stranger at the scene has been unable to forget. Now, almost thirty years later, she's trying to track Amber down.

Amber, meanwhile, is married to Ned and living on the other side of the world in London. When her father has a stroke, she flies straight home to Australia to be with him. Away from her husband, Amber finds comfort in her oldest friends, but her feelings for Ethan, the gorgeous, green-eyed man she once fell for, have never been platonic.

As Ethan and Amber grow closer, married life in London feels far away. Then Amber receives a letter that changes everything. 'Before your mother died, she asked me to tell you something…' 



Review: 
   I've not read anything by Paige Toon before, but after reading the description for The Sun in Her Eyes I was really looking forward to my introduction to her way of storytelling. The first pages started off well with a little bit of mystery that had me intrigued, though I'm afraid as I turned the pages further into the story my interest started to wane. There is a lot of internal thought written from the main character Amber's perspective but I just felt it was a little bland and very self-involved.  There was so much going on in the story but all it ever felt like, was Amber caring only about how the different things would affect her and no one else, and if she did give thought to others around her, again it came down to the effect of what their reaction to a circumstance would have on her. When moments of the story, although very short in part, were told by another character it again piqued my interest in the book and gave a small reprieve from Amber's overly self pitying ways.  

    Although I couldn't connect with the main character at all, I did see some moments in Paige's writing that I enjoyed, for example the overall idea of the story was definitely interesting and kept me reading to find out what would happen in the ending and I also enjoyed some of the banter passed back and forth between Amber's friends.  I'm sure other readers would definitely enjoy this book but for me the execution was just a little off, however from the ideas in the storyline I'd still be interested in reading some of the authors other works with characters that hopefully follow a different pattern to the main of this one. 

3/5 ❤️s

Amanda 

Amazon Buy link: http://amzn.to/1UqwsnT

No comments:

Post a Comment