Reprieve by A.E. Woodward

I thought he was my antidote, but it turns out that he’s just my new drug of choice. 
Before him, it was heroin. 
And then they put me here against my will. 
At the time it seemed like my only viable choice. 
I preferred stumbling through life numb to it all. But now I’m here, and every sound and every emotion is heightened to a level I never knew existed. 
Then somehow, in a moment of weakness it became all about him. 
My counselor. 
He makes me feel things I never thought possible. But I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to recover...

Amazon US


Review:
A.E Woodward has this way with words that made it easy to connect with the main character, their emotions and thoughts projected back onto my own, creating a rollercoaster track that took me on a journey through the eyes of another. Sights, scents and sounds were transformed by the sentences of descriptions escaping from the pages to mask out the rest of the world and I found myself captivated with every single one.

Main character Tegan felt everything so deeply, she was mostly shattered pieces and it was heartbreaking to read, the feeling she craved most was what only her addiction could bring her, a numbness, a high that consumed and for a while wiped the terrifying memories of her past. Reading about what happened to her, in her younger years, made me want to throw my kindle in anger, sadness and disgust. What she went through is something that no one ever should.

When Tegan meets Asher everything that helps her to forget changes, her addiction is no longer heroine, but the pure bliss of becoming so lost within someone that the adoration wipes all other thoughts from the mind. However love does not come without it's own downfalls, especially when it's with someone like Asher.

Although I could connect with Tegan, there was something about Asher that made him seem like he couldn't be trusted. Maybe it was the position he was in and because of the type of relationship he had with Tegan before it transformed into another or because their wasn't more dialogue to read between the two (a lot implied though so romance was believable), either way by the end of the book I still wasn't a fan of his. Though I'm sure other readers may feel differently.

Despite me not liking Asher, I still thought this book was very well written, with a great storyline and main character, Tegan, whom was very easy to empathize with. I will definitely continue to add future works by A.E Woodward to my reading lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment