Kick by Carmen Jenner

When I was ten, my father indoctrinated me into the family. 

A brotherhood who would fight, protect, and give their lives for one another. A club whose ties ran thicker than blood, murkier than the dirt and grime that tainted my soul. Stronger than the bonds that connected me to my own family. 

A band of brothers, where loyalty was kept and paid in a currency of blood. 

When I was twenty-seven, I betrayed that brotherhood. 

I’ve spent every day since running, avoiding paying back that debt. 

My name is Daniel Johnson. I have betrayed everyone I ever loved. 

And I’ll betray her too. 

This is my story—if you’re screwed up enough to want to read it. 


Warning: KICK contains graphic violence, profanity, drug use, and explicit sexual situations of a taboo nature. Intended for an 18+ audience only. Not intended for pussies. 


Review:
I've just read KICK by Carmen Jenner and it is exceptional, unlike any other book I've ever read.
The MC of this story is no saint, Kick has a craving for violence created by a fractured soul haunted by memories of loss and revenge, he is drawn to those just as f**ked up as he is but has no plans of ever letting them in so that they might have the chance to break what is left of him. However that doesn't stop Kick from trying to save Indie, the young woman he took from more terrifying monsters, and as he helps her to regain her strength and will to fight, he begins to lose the battle within himself to keep others out. 

Kick is a dark, gut wrenching story, I felt as though Carmen Jenner had my heart in her hands and was tossing it back and forth, squeezing and twisting getting ready to crush it completely. Some of the scenes, so violent and shocking, were hard to read without feelings of rage and overwhelming sadness, I often found my hands shaking and eyes tearing up. The violence, although torturous, was a necessity to show the growth and strength of the characters, it further added to a story that is brilliantly written. 
5/5  s 

No comments:

Post a Comment