The End Game by Kate McCarthy


I am huge fan of sports themed books and when I read the blurb for The End Game, my instincts told my I'd like it. Well, my instincts were well and truly right, because this book was incredible. Australian born, Jordan, has won a scholarship to play college women's soccer in America. It's here she meets Brody Madden, star of the schools gridiron team. Being the football star and with looks to die for, he has no trouble getting female attention, but as soon as he lays eyes on Jordan, there is no other girl he wants.
I have high expectations when I read sports themed books, as The Perfect Game by J Sterling is my all time favourite read. The End Game by Kate McCarthy is now right up there with it.
I loved the banter between the 2 main characters, Jordan was a hard nut to crack, but Brody wasn't giving up on her. Their life stories were heartbreaking. Brody's family life was far from perfect and I felt all his frustration whenever he dealt with his parents. This guy has been to hell and back and we find out as the book goes on, just how much it affected him. His parents made me so mad, I wanted to jump into the book and shake some sense into them. I had to put my kindle down at one stage, they angered me so much, I needed a break.
There are a couple of twists which really caught me off guard (I love when a book does that), I didn't predict the story to go in that direction at all and it made me all the more hooked. The story flows flawlessly and I could picture in my mind how it all looked, especially at the football and soccer games. I could feel the excitement and it made me want to be there in the stands cheering them on. I felt all the emotions of these 2 characters. I laughed, I got angry, I cheered and my heart broke for both of them at different times. It drew me in and I couldn't get enough.
Kate McCarthy is a wonderful story teller that has a true gift for this genre.
I have recommended this book to everyone I know. I'm sure they're sick of me raving about it, but it is that good.
5 big beautiful stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment