Kick, Push by Jay McLean

There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three if you’re really good.
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you.
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the greatest feeling in the world.
Then at seventeen, I had my son.
And every single second became a defining moment. Even the ones that consisted of heartbreak when his mother left us.

Seventeen. Single. Dad.
That’s what my life became.
Yet, every day, I managed to find that feeling of being airborne.
Or at least I convinced myself I did.
But I lied—to myself and to everyone around me.
Until she showed up; Tanned skin, raven dark hair, and eyes the color of emeralds.

You know what sucks about being in the air?
Coming down from the high.
Sometimes you land on the board and nail the trick.
Then kick, push, and coast away.
Other times you fall.
You fall hard.
And those are the times when it’s not as easy to get back up, dust off your pads and try again.
Especially when the girl with the emerald eyes becomes your drug...
And you become her poison.


Review:

         There are not many books I've reread straight after reading them for the very first time, but a collection of them does exist on my kindle. The most recently added book to that collection is Kick, Push by Jay McLean . I've read it three times and keep going back through all the quotes I've highlighted (which is A LOT btw) and already want to read it again. 

         I've tried re-writing this review so many times and every time I've read it back it just never sounded right, because books like Kick,Push are ones that just leave a reader speechless. I can't tell you what parts of the book I loved most, because every word of the story affected me in some way. I don't think I've smiled or cried so hard whilst reading before. Even when angry I was crying, reading some of what the characters had to go through I wanted to kick and scream and break shit for them. When they were happy, a cocoon of warmth settled all around me and tears brimmed in my eyes for the beauty within the words that they shared. Their Laughter, their sadness, their anger, their love, I felt it all, that's how great a hold the main characters, Josh and Becca plus all the special ones (like Josh's son and Becca's grandmother), surrounding them had over me. They were all more than just fiction, they were real. 

       Jay McLean has done an amazing job of creating characters and a story that people can easily connect with, though readers may not have been faced with the same challenges they will understand the struggles the characters went through which are so brilliantly described by Jay's words.

         Kick, Push is a top five read for me and will be reread many more times in the future.
5/5 ❤️s
Read it people!

❤️Amanda


PURCHASE LINKS:

iBooks   Kobo   Nook 



AUTHOR BIO:

Jay is an avid reader, writer, and most of all, procrastinator. When she's not doing any of those things, she can be found running after her two little boys, or devouring some tacky reality TV show.

She writes what she loves to read, which are books that can make her laugh, make her smile, make her hurt, and make her feel.

For publishing rights (Foreign & Domestic) Film, or television, please contact her agent, Erica Spellman-Silverman, at Trident Media Group.


AUTHOR LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment